Re: NetFlow for IDS

From: Fergus Brooks (fergwa_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/21/05

    Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:58:57 +0800
    To: "Gary Halleen (ghalleen)" <ghalleen@cisco.com>

    This is good stuff.

    The 4 products Adam mentioned perform Network Behavioural Anomaly
    Detection (NBAD).

    NBAD is an added layer - complimentary to NIDS/NIPS. This is a very
    good article for those interested:

    http://www.networkmagazine.com/shared/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=163700677&pgno=1

    Despite the marketing pitch, MARS is not an NBAD product and should
    not be in the NBAD quadrant when Gartner puts it together. Aggregation
    and correlation tools like Protego (sorry Cisco..) MARS look at a
    bunch of different information and assess the importance of events - a
    good NBAD product should profile the behaviour of the network in real
    time and not wait for devices to start hinting at issues.

    I have questions about products that depend on flow info from routers
    etc - if you are being badly DDoSed then I am not sure that these
    devices will be accurate in providing the necessary intelligence for
    accurate mitigation. In fact Netflow is widely considered to be
    inaccurate at times ( I can reference examples of 200% utilisation
    reporting etc...), a serious issue for UBB etc, and as we all know
    when the bad stuff happens the availability and integrity of the
    information is extremely important. Hence why most of the NBAD
    platforms can gather information from the wire independent of
    Net/c/sflow via SPAN/tap etc.

    Also Cisco are investors in Arbor and have incorporated Riverhead. The
    Riverhead stuff is very good at dealing with anomalous traffic, and
    they are also pushing MARS as some kind of anomaly detection solution.
    I have also heard that there is some protocol anomlay detection in
    Cisco IDS.

    As a representative of Cisco Gary, perhaps you could let us all know
    what Cisco's roadmap is for these supposedly competing products they
    have invested in? I am confused!