Re: Packet/Protocol Anomaly Detection with IDS

From: Joachim Schipper (j.schipper_at_math.uu.nl)
Date: 05/20/05

    Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:40:49 +0200
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:50:55PM -0000, Harald Frlinger wrote:

    > Hi Community,
    >
    > im a student, and at the moment im searching
    > for some input to write my exam.
    >
    > The title is "Packet/Protocol Anomaly Detection with IDS", i already got some good input.
    > But some things are quiet hard to find.
    >
    > What i need is some examples on attacks,
    > on specific protocols, like ftp, http, tcp ...
    > I know there are attacks like Dos or Buffer Overflows.
    > But i need some more.
    >
    > Maybe you can tell me some good ressources or
    > examples.
    >
    > Thanks all, and sorry for my english.
    >

    > mfg
    > harry

    Hello Harry,

    one thing I recently discovered was HTTP response splitting (known for
    some time, but hey - I can't know everything). Quite interesting.

    Some FTP implementations (wuftpd) react(ed) badly to LIST commands with
    lots of wildcards, which allows an easy DoS.

    Brute-forcing might be interesting too.

    There are many others, but I'm just a student myself... ;-)

                    Joachim

    • Re: Why Didnt Dumbledore Ever Reprimand Snape?
      ... > staff of Hogwarts to favor Draco as well? ... Harry was only 11. ... > student but one of the Trio booted out the door." ... There's several meetings during GoF (cough cough pensieve cough cough). ...
      (alt.fan.harry-potter)
    • Re: Question On The Harry Potter Books
      ... about anything she wants to put into her bag and then stuff the bag ... every student wizard and witch would have been carrying one all the ... Harry and Ron find any intellectual accomplishment impressive. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: What makes Harry Potter a special wizard?
      ... >> Harry Potter is a good student but not outstanding. ... Snape fended off Harry's attacks with barely any effort at all. ... >> Harry had fought with Draco in the past, ... >> If Harry was an exceptional wizard, he far should outshine his classmates ...
      (alt.fan.harry-potter)
    • Re: head boy and girl
      ... James were the heads. ... it is a student who represents the student body to ... that Ron and Hermione were prefects in 6th year. ... but they weren't anyone Harry cared about. ...
      (alt.fan.harry-potter)
    • Re: What makes Harry Potter a special wizard?
      ... >> Adam Corolla wrote: ... >>> Harry Potter is a good student but not outstanding. ... When he faced Snape ... >>> Harry had fought with Draco in the past, ...
      (alt.fan.harry-potter)