Re: Value of IDS, ROI

From: Vladimir Vuksan (vlists_at_veus.hr)
Date: 05/04/05

    Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 21:08:13 -0600
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    Jason Patel wrote:

    >I was wondering how big companies CIO show their executives Return of investment on IDS. What is the monitoring strategy for IDS alerts. I am trying to figure monitoring strategy and how to show my executive that how important job this is, but cant come up with a convincing solution. Anyhelp is highly appreciated.

    I would think this would be an easy argument to make :-). The way I
    would look at it is to figure out how would separate types of incidents
    affect productivity in an organization. For example virus outbreak takes
    down whole network resulting in 100 employees losing 8 hours of
    productivity. If IDS was present there would be only 2 hours lost
    productivity. So with IDS there is 6 hours less lost productivity due to
    early alerting, containment etc. In money terms than you can come with a
    dollar figure e.g. 6 hours times 100 employees = $XXXX. You may be able
    to find what the average number of security incidents for organization
    of your size on the net.

    Vladimir

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.