Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Peter Schawacker (peter_at_schawacker.com)
Date: 03/12/05

    Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:41:46 -0800 (PST)
    To: Kevin <kkadow@gmail.com>, focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    Hi Kevin,

    You make some good points, but I wanted to clarify
    something that you wrote. McAfee's IntruShield NIPS
    appliance does not run Linux. Also, it is
    ASIC/FPGA-based. Each IntruShield appliance does
    include a celeron processor, but that Intel chip is
    used only for management. All of the IDS/IPS work is
    done using FPGA's, ASIC's and network processors.

    BTW, I work for McAfee.

    Peter

    --- Kevin <kkadow@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:28:57 +0000, buineach
    > And there are products like Intrushield, which are
    > known to
    > use Linux/LGPL code and also boast about the high
    > performance of "ASIC based appliance" IPS.
    >

    > > I think you will admit that the technology used
    > by IDS vendors is
    > > almost the same as the appliance IPS they now
    > promote.

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.

    • RE: Oracle and IBM -- Grudge Match
      ... I thought that Oracle was using FPGAs like Netezza... ... IBM has, and is marketing, database appliances based on the Z-series servers running IDS and/or DB2! ... I don't believe that Amazon is talking about putting IDS in FPGAs as an 'appliance'. ...
      (comp.databases.informix)
    • Re: Oracle and IBM -- Grudge Match
      ... IDS has been on an appliance and is installable as an option on both the IBM ... and the Amazon clouds. ...
      (comp.databases.informix)
    • RE: Oracle and IBM -- Grudge Match
      ... I don't believe that Amazon is talking about putting IDS in FPGAs as an 'appliance'. ... IDS has been on an appliance and is installable as an option on both the IBM and the Amazon clouds. ...
      (comp.databases.informix)
    • Re: Oracle and IBM -- Grudge Match
      ... IBM has, and is marketing, database appliances based on the Z-series ... IDS fully installed and operational. ... If you are talking about a 'Virtual Database Appliance' running IDS, ... Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions and ...
      (comp.databases.informix)
    • Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider
      ... If you look past the appliance label you will find ... Any true IPS must be stateful and therefore cannot just simply forward ... A managed service from anyone when used as an IDS is great because you ... in any network. ...
      (Focus-IDS)