RE: IDS event filtering

From: Ofer Shezaf (Ofer.Shezaf_at_breach.com)
Date: 01/04/05

    Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:40:44 -0500
    To: <focus-ids@lists.securityfocus.com>

    To add my two cents:

    Filtering is not only about yes and no, but also about severity.

    My experience shows that management report should include also a summary
    of unsuccessful attacks as they are used for policy creation and
    budgeting. In other words, I would like to show my boss that the world
    is dangerous, and that it attacks our systems.

    On the other hand in real time monitoring that produced actionable items
    I would not want to see events that do not pose immediate threat.

    The trick in many IDS/SIM systems is to set different severity levels:
    information only for non immediate events and high severity to events
    that pose immediate threat.

    Ofer Shezaf
    CTO, Breach Security
    Tel: +972.9.956.0036 ext.212
    Cell: +972.54.443.1119
    ofers@breach.com
    http://www.breach.com

    MSSQL

    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    > to learn more.

    Test Your IDS
    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.

    • RE: IDS event filtering
      ... The trick with IDS and SIM is to find an approach, ... Filtering is not only about yes and no, ... My experience shows that management report should include also a summary ... > Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: RFD: uk.radio.amateur.moderated
      ... subject to filtering by my killfile. ... I think you''ll find some of the most prolific and inane posters morph into multiple new IDs on a daily basis. ...
      (uk.net.news.config)
    • Dynamic Filtering
      ... I have been playing with dynamic filtering in merge replication and I ... the list of ids that the UDF returns changes, it makes no difference when I ... subscriber and synchronize again. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
    • Re: Updating null values
      ... work I mean its not filtering the null values when I bring the IDs table for ... Stefan Hoffmann wrote: ... ID field and I have made another table for IDs which has 2864 unique values ... update query, add both tables, add the relation between them. ...
      (microsoft.public.access.queries)
    • Re: Logger solution Required
      ... in a GUI format...Trying to provide to functionality like sorting ... using the severity, timestamps and filtering with severity. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)