newbie quetsions

From: Andrey Todorov (andreyt_at_gawab.com)
Date: 12/24/04

    Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:07:30 +0100
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    Hi People,
    I tried several times to subscribe myself to "Security Basics" mailing
    list to ask my questions, but didn't succeed. Excuse me if my questions
    aren't adequate to "Focus IDS" mailing list!

    I'll be very gratefull if you share your opinion with me for the
    following situation. I have small network (5 PCs) behind one Linux box
    (iptables firewall , Pentium I 166Mhz, 32MB RAM, 4GB HDD) and want to
    increase security for this network.

        1. Do I need IDS?
        2. What do you think about Snort? Can I find easy maintainable
    free/opensource IDS then Snort?
        3. What IDS literature should I read?

    Thank you in advance!

    Andrey

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.