what is required for an engineer to become an SECURITY engineer

From: Ravi Kumar (ravivsn_at_rocsys.com)
Date: 12/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:12:56 +0530
    To: focus-ids <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,
      I was asked to prepare syllabus for security management,incident
    handling,forensics analysis, intrusion detection etc., Th intention is
    train an engineer to become a SECURITY engineer.

       we know there are several certifications which are designed for this
    purpose. I want from you with your security experience tell us what
    should an BASIC course for security really requires.

      If industry wants to recruit an engineer for its security needs what
    type of experience they look for?

    Note: Please dont relate my question with any certifications and be generic.

    Thanks for any help,
    -Ravi

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.