Snort [BASE, MySQL, FC3] Installtion Manual

From: Ghaith Nasrawi (libero_at_aucegypt.edu)
Date: 12/08/04

    Date: Wed,  8 Dec 2004 02:10:40 +0000
    To: "focus-ids" <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>

    Hi All,

    Recently, I've written a manual on how to install Snort (v. 2.3.0)
    using the Basic Analysis and Security Engine (BASE) and MySQL on top
    of Apache server. The manual takes Fedora Core 3 as an example for the
    hosting system.

    If interested, get a copy from
    http://drider.sourceforge.net/docs/snort/snort_install_guide_FC3_2.txt

    any comments are appreciated as I might expand that manual for
    different platforms.

    -----

     (o_
     //\ Ghaith Nasrawi
     V_/_

    PAST, n.
    That part of Eternity with some small fraction of
    which we have a slight and regrettable
    acquaintance. A moving line called the Present
    parts it from an imaginary period known as the
    Future. These two grand divisions of Eternity, of
    which the one is continually effacing the other,
    are entirely unlike. The one is dark with sorrow
    and disappointment, the other bright with
    prosperity and joy. The Past is the region of
    sobs, the Future is the realm of song. In the one
    crouches Memory, clad in sackcloth and ashes,
    mumbling penitential prayer; in the sunshine of
    the other Hope flies with a free wing, beckoning
    to temples of success and bowers of ease. Yet the
    Past is the Future of yesterday, the Future is the
    Past of to-morrow. They are one -- the knowledge
    and the dream. (The Devil's Dictionary)

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
    CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
    to learn more.

    • RE: Open ports on FC2
      ... On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 20:47, John Dangler wrote: ... For users of Fedora Core releases ... > nmap localhost reveals: ... I think MySQL can be configured to use internal unix sockets so unless ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Updating with yum -- etc
      ... > I have built several servers using Fedora Core 3, and normally, I use ... I have one particular one which uses the newer version of MySQL ... This package contains backlevel versions of the MySQL client libraries ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: how to recover mysql table from .{MYI|MYD|frm} files?
      ... Here is a newbie on both Fedora Core and MySQL. ... to the command for verbose output. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: innodb and mysqld errors
      ... > There is something real weird with Fedora Core 1's bindery of MySQL. ... > parameters set or pass a skip-innodb in the config which I did but still ... > the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Sharing the load of a server between two boxes and two CPUs
      ... > Mark Jordan wrote: ... >> Fedora Core on. ... I'm planning to set up an apache server on one or the ...
      (Fedora)