Re: need your help about IPS and IDS,thanks

From: Lily (xiaoche111_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/17/04

    To: "Eric McCarty" <eric@piteduncan.com>
    Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:39:13 +0800

    Thanks for your reply.But I still some question about it:
    1.I see 'HIPS creates a baseline of normal activity' and 'NIPS to perform pattern-matching between what is known as an attack and the traffic that is traversing the network' in the Web of Vigilar.
    If the meaning of these two sentences is HIPS can only build the normal model to detect while NIPS can use the pattern matching as the IDS?
    2. If the 'IPS just knows its an attack which needs to be blocked/dropped/reset',what's the meaning of log the traffic?I think the logs is no meaning because of the integrity.These type logs can not distinguish any known attack.
    3.I am puzzling what technology is used of IDS by IPS?