RE: Snort

From: Bénoni MARTIN (Benoni.MARTIN_at_libertis.ga)
Date: 09/30/04

    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:20:41 +0100
    To: "Jeremy Gonzales" <jerdgonzales@yahoo.com>

    I am afraid there is no way to get rid of ALL the false positives !

    When I was dealing with IDS some two years ago, I configured two identical Snorts, one stayed with the default config, and the second one was tunned (by editing snort config file and changing the alerts when necessary) day after day, attack after attack, alert after alert ... to finally get to a well-tuned IDS.

    Some IDS are better than others as they will give you less false positives, but with an open source as Snort, you will have some work to do tunning it before having an reliable IDS ...