Re: free hIDS, or system assessment tools

From: Ron Gula (rgula_at_tenablesecurity.com)
Date: 09/28/04

    Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:09:38 -0400
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    At 06:17 PM 9/23/2004 -0500, Ty Bodell wrote:
    >Fahad--
    >Nessus does local checks on boxes with SSH :-) And for windows
    >there's always MBSA.
    >--Ty Bodell

    .... hey I thought this was the IDS forum ....

    Of course if you plug Nessus and then mention windows, you should
    check out NeWT 2.1 when we release it later this week. It runs on
    windows, does the same network/SSH/Windows local checks as Nessus
    and has it's own reports and XML format. There is *no charge* for
    the class C version.

    You can download NeWT 2.0 here:
    http://cgi.tenablesecurity.com/tenable/requestForm.php

    NeWT 2.1 will be available later this week and includes support
    for XP SP2, and SSH local checks for AIX, Solaris, SuSE, OS X and
    others.

    And just to bring it back to an IDS discussion, you can run all
    of the NASL scripts from Nessus, right from your windows laptop
    and also enable a variety of NIDS bypass options from an easy
    to use tabbed interface.

    Ron Gula, CTO
    Tenable Network Security
    http://www.tenablesecurity.com

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.