RE: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)

From: Bob Walder (bwalder_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 09/06/04

    To: "'Jose Maria Lopez'" <jkerouac@bgsec.com>
    Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:18:51 +0200

    I agree...... For now!

    But I thought we were talking futures (reading back to Greg's original
    post)

    Given increases in capabilities of hardware, do you REALLY think these
    will still be separate devices in five years time? (And let's not go
    into what "next big thing" will have replaced ALL of these technologies
    by then...;o)

    Regards,

    Bob Walder

    http://www.bgsec.com ESPAÑA

    like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                    -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

    Test Your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
    Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.

    • Re: What to do if they ignore you
      ... > My company provides outsource security management/monitoring services. ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ... Test Your IDS ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Snort IDS
      ... > would like to use the Open Source Snort network IDS running on RedHat Linux ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)
      ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ... Test Your IDS ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Monitoring software question
      ... tells port and protocol connected to and what local pc did ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: simple question about ip_forward and NAT routing.
      ... can access the internet. ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)