RE: session logging IDS

From: Paine, Steve (Steve.Paine_at_ish.com)
Date: 08/31/04

    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:41:54 +0200

    Hi.

    Dave has some good points - content checking is not really the realm of IPS
    devices.

    Intruvert, (i'm checking our intruvert 4000 configuration options right
    now), can not capture a whole flow. Only the flow from 256 bytes before the
    attack packet - and up to the end.

    On any attack signature, you can also set the intruvert to capture 256 bytes
    of 'application data'prior to an attack packet and then you can capture the
    rest of the flow - defined in different ways:

    Capture N packets
    Capture until time
    Capture rest of flow.

    In theory I guess you could create a signature that triggers onthe first
    packet of, say, a specific FTP connection and capture the whole lot.

    Steve