RE: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)

From: Bob Walder (bwalder_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 08/30/04

    To: "'Greg Shipley'" <gshipley@neohapsis.com>, "'Jacob Winston'" <jctx09@yahoo.com>
    Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:27:24 +0200

    I think you are on pretty safe ground now with that one, Greg ;o)

    12 months might be a little on the ambitious side, but the end result is
    inevitable. I wrote the foreword for our IPS report (www.nss.co.uk/ips)
    almost a year ago to the day, and it went to press last December,
    including the following paragraph:

    "So-called "deep inspection firewalls" may be where the industry is
    heading in the long term, but they are simply not ready for prime-time
    deployments at this point in time. Until they are, security
    administrators need to make the best use of the technology that *is*
    available, and for now that means a combination of firewalls, in-line
    intrusion prevention devices, and intrusion detection systems."

    One of the press releases that accompanied the release of the report was
    more specific - it talked about the fact that the firewall guys were
    busy producing their "deep inspection firewalls" whilst the IDS guys
    were busy producing their new "Intrusion Prevention Systems" - both are
    imperfect technologies and convergence is inevitable. Who wants to pay
    for and manage two devices at the edge of the network? Who wants to
    double the number of devices they have to deploy in the core of the
    network?

    The only REAL question is who will win the race to product the perfect
    integrated device - the firewall guys or the IDS/IPS guys?

    That's where you can stick your neck out ;o)

    Regards,

    Bob Walder
    The NSS Group
    www.nss.co.uk

      ... > what makes it not be equal to a firewall? ... of me if I turn out to be wrong (the joy of archived email lists!): ... think what we know today as a "Network Intrusion Prevention System" (NIPS) ... the comparison between NIDS and NIPS was silly, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Changes in IDS Companies?
      ... Well...Netscreen didn't *build* a NIPS, ... while everyone gets all excited about the possibility of inline IDS, ... IPS is not a performance bottleneck. ... Firewall & IDS vendors ally/acquire partners on the other side, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Corporate H/N IPS
      ... "Intrusion Prevention System" is a term devised to create a ... >> I for one would not entrust my perimeter defense to a NIPS, ... >> consider using a NIPS to look for intrusion signatures on those ... >> have been passed by the firewall. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Changes in IDS Companies?
      ... > traffic to the sort of high value, production server ... First off, most IPS, NIPS, ... A good IDS does more than just shoot ... to make a change to a conventional firewall, a NIDS could do the same ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: How to get rid of persistent virus programs.
      ... > Long query about dealing with Pesky trojans and spyware ... > At least something like before and after lists, ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...