Re: Difference between Protocol Analyzers -> Packet Sniffers

From: Thomas Ptacek (tqbf_at_arbor.net)
Date: 03/29/04

    Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:52:22 -0500
    To: Eric Hines <eric.hines@appliedwatch.com>

    On Mar 25, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Eric Hines wrote:
    > I've only been able to articulate that Protocol Analyzers can conduct
    > protocol
    > decoding, whereas Tcpdump can not... Ethereal can provide information
    > on the
    > different fields of the HTTP header and SSL fields.... stuff like
    > that.. Anyone

    The majority of the code in tcpdump is protocol decodes.

    ---
    Thomas H. Ptacek // Product Manager, Arbor Networks
    (734) 327-0000

    • RE: How Network Traffic Flows – Getting Started
      ... The Address Resolution Protocol is used for this ... The workstation broadcasts a request to the devices on its network ... The workstation initiates the connection to the Web server. ... It is important to note that the tcpdump will provide different details ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Difference between Protocol Analyzers -> Packet Sniffers
      ... What’s interesting is that TCPdump can actually do ... actual tells tcpdump to increase protocol decode. ... > Ethereal is a protocol analyzer and Tcpdump is ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: gdb
      ... >> have you tried using tcpdump to monitor the connection to the cvsup server? ... > you don't know the protocol. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • tcpdump question of ipsec / esp packets
      ... Not sure if this is even possible in tcpdump, but I was hoping I would be able to properly decode the protocol of the encapsulated packets in an ipsec connection. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Difference between Protocol Analyzers -> Packet Sniffers
      ... Using filters, one can extract any portion of data out of the ... Difference between Protocol Analyzers -> Packet Sniffers ... > Ethereal is a protocol analyzer and Tcpdump is not... ...
      (Focus-IDS)