Re: symbiot security - april fool's prank ?

From: Mark (securitylists_at_uniontown.com)
Date: 03/12/04

    Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:21:13 -0500
    To: Chris Caydes <chris_caydes@yahoo.com>

    Chris Caydes wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I have just come across the website and last week's
    >press release of a company named Symbiot Security.
    >The idea of this "company" is to strike back against
    >network-based attackers.
    >
    >I've seen the information relayed on several technews
    >websites, and a (rather funny) discussion on /. about
    >it. One suggested on /. that version 2 of the solution
    >would "preemptively attack any remote hosts that could
    >conceivably pose a threat".
    >
    >I've seen the similar concept of e-retaliation last
    >year, on April 1st, 2003, but it was, of course, an
    >april fool's joke.
    >
    >This looks pretty much like a prank too... Their
    >website is at symbiot.com, and contains nothing more
    >than 3 PDF files. Is anyone aware of what this really
    >is ?
    >
    >Regards
    >Chris

    One of these seems to pop up every few years or so. Last one I can
    actually recall was called Blitzkreig server?

    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/168

    "The Blitzkrieg server, according to the trade magazine that originally
    hyped it, was "a new virus that automatically launches a lethal counter
    offensive against hackers... the digital equivalent of Star Wars
    technology" capable of knocking out the computer on the other end of the
    line by destroying its hardware /and/ software. "

    Of course we all know the stupidity in counterstrikes and retaliation
    with detected attacks, right? Let's see, I will spoof whitehouse.gov
    and launch a scan....

    :-)

    -Mark C

    Test your IDS

    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out by easily testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.

    Visit:
    www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_eids1 to learn more.

    • Re: Exposing Dan Christensens aka DCPROOF lies about Cubafaq and me - why Dan Christensen aka DC
      ... Link to the real "Cubafaq" website: http://cubafaq.impela.net ... Link to Dan Christensen posting as "Dan Christensen" Jun 1. ... Your continued attacks will bring you more ... He is the one doing the "attacking" with his lies and slander. ...
      (soc.culture.cuba)
    • Re: Exposing Dan Christensens aka DCPROOF lies about Cubafaq and me - why Dan Christensen aka DC
      ... Link to the real "Cubafaq" website: http://cubafaq.impela.net ... Link to Dan Christensen posting as "Dan Christensen" Jun 1. ... Your continued attacks will bring you more ... He is the one doing the "attacking" with his lies and slander. ...
      (soc.culture.cuba)
    • RE: Pre-Scanning for Marketing
      ... installer there were some Security issue, ... vulnerabilities are easily and efficiently identified. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Hacking to Xp box
      ... I think there was a misunderstanding in the firewall point: ... you need to find some vulnerability that could be ... > restricts most of the attacks that use anonymous connections. ... > Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Whitespace in passwords
      ... input password is alphanumeric + special characters -- chances are strong ... >> Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping ... >> your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, ...
      (Pen-Test)