Re: symbiot security - april fool's prank ?

From: Frank Smith (fsmith_at_hoovers.com)
Date: 03/12/04

    Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:44:19 -0600
    To: Chris Caydes <chris_caydes@yahoo.com>, focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    --On Thursday, March 11, 2004 07:45:58 -0800 Chris Caydes <chris_caydes@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have just come across the website and last week's
    > press release of a company named Symbiot Security.
    > The idea of this "company" is to strike back against
    > network-based attackers.
    >
    > I've seen the information relayed on several technews
    > websites, and a (rather funny) discussion on /. about
    > it. One suggested on /. that version 2 of the solution
    > would "preemptively attack any remote hosts that could
    > conceivably pose a threat".
    >
    > I've seen the similar concept of e-retaliation last
    > year, on April 1st, 2003, but it was, of course, an
    > april fool's joke.
    >
    > This looks pretty much like a prank too... Their
    > website is at symbiot.com, and contains nothing more
    > than 3 PDF files. Is anyone aware of what this really
    > is ?

    Its a real company, but used to have a more traditional
    security focus. You can look a a previous incarnation of
    their web site (pre-marketing hype) archived on the
    Internet Wayback Machine (www.archive.org). The latest
    archived copy (from last July) is at:
    <http://web.archive.org/web/20030611174748/http://symbiot.com/>

    You might also want to check the nanog archives and slashdot
    for other opinions on their new product (pretty much all
    negative).

    Frank

    > Regards
    > Chris

    > Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
    > http://search.yahoo.com

    > Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
    > wireless security
    >
    > Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
    > Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
    > applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
    > ownership.
    >
    > Download your free trial at
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_focus-ids_040301

    Frank Smith                                      fsmith@hoovers.com
    Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673
    Test your IDS
    Is your IDS deployed correctly?
    Find out by easily testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
    Visit:
    www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_eids1 to learn more.

    • Re: Memories of BoaterDave from 2006
      ... If no-one cares, Ari, why are our 'leaders' allowing our troops being ... Just like real-world security, the ... some attackers are highly skilled and motivated with the goal ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • [NEWS] Vulnerability Enables Passport Account Hijackings (No Secret Question)
      ... Beyond Security in Canada ... to promote the most advanced vulnerability assessment solutions today. ... A newly disclosed vulnerability could enable attackers to reset the ... who needs to reset his account password can be manipulated by attackers on ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] DoS and Directory Traversal Vulnerabilities in WebServer 4 Everyone
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... requests and to allow attackers to download files that reside the outside ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [Full-Disclosure] RE: [PHC] Sermon #3 (w/ reply to Paul Schmehl & others)
      ... Attack Windows exist from public vulnerability disclosure right back ... retrospect, the security industry accomplished nothing in 20 years, ... security industry banging on about it, contradicting their "there is no such ... only the number of attackers exponentially, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Printer recommendation please
      ... PDF file. ... we suspect your PCs being an active ... High Security Programs" will spread, ... would run on 90% of home PCs, attackers would concentrate ...
      (freebsd-questions)