Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer

From: Tillman Hodgson (tillman_at_seekingfire.com)
Date: 03/01/04

    Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:20:22 -0600
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:52:58PM -0800, Vel wrote:
    > How can a sniffer be run in non-promiscuous mode ?
    >
    > Is that not the first criteria of being a sniffer. Running in Promisc' mode
    > ?

    Run it on a gateway.

    -T

    --
    One day a student of the great Master Nasrudi passes by his house and finds
    him on his knees, rummaging in the grass. "What are you doing, sir?" "I'm

    • Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer
      ... Non-promiscuous or promiscuous it is still called a sniffer. ... > Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer
      ... Is that not the first criteria of being a sniffer. ... Running in Promisc' mode ... > Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer
      ... It is good enough to install a sniffer on a box and see what ... >> Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with ... >> Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Counter detect Network Sniffer
      ... If the sniffer is running like this, they're not going to see anything they ... firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN, ... Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: wifi file sharing security
      ... MAC filtering: This is like handing a security guard a pad of paper with a list of names. ... Then when someone comes up to the door and wants entry, the security guard looks at the person's name tag and compares it to his list of names and determines whether to open the door or not. ... The MAC address is just a 12 digit long HEX number that can be viewed in clear text with a sniffer. ... There are 4 other mechanisms that also broadcast the SSID over the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. ...