Cisco CTR

From: Liran Chen (liranil_at_optonline.net)
Date: 11/06/03

    Date: 6 Nov 2003 20:40:39 -0000
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

    Hi all

    I am looking into adding some IDS blades from Cisco in to my catalyst envronment.
    Cisco rep suggested to complement that solution with CTR to reduce the FP ( False Possitives)

    This statement rises several questions:
    1. What is FP ratio when you compare Cisco IDS to other IDS vendors?
    2. CTR is a kind of Nessus or NMAP that check the offended host?
    Does any one as good/bad experience with this CTR solution?

    Thanks

    Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security
    at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry event of the year.
    Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200 class sessions and
    see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If your job touches
    security, you need to be here. Learn more or register at
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_focus-ids_031023
    and use priority code SF4.

    • RE: Cisco CTR
      ... With CTR we estimate your false positives will drop ... Cisco ThreatResponse is a tool that does several things. ... If the host is not vulnerable, then the alert is either removed or reduced ... > I am looking into adding some IDS blades from Cisco in to my ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Recommending an IDS system
      ... re: Cisco IDS, I have a few things to say about Cisco's product: junk. ... into ONE inky-dinky "black box" that was maintained by a "security ... Like I said before, ISS ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Recommending an IDS system
      ... That feature is not an "Auto-Update" in Cisco. ... As for writing your own signatures, ... Subject: Recommending an IDS system ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Recommending an IDS system
      ... I'm running a smaller setup than your old employer attempted to run. ... re: Cisco IDS, I have a few things to say about Cisco's product: junk. ... but the management of the signatures and ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: CISCOs new IPS
      ... There is no way we would consider using their IPS units....their IDS have enough problems. ... Christoph, ... I can tell you from real world experience that Cisco has not been the best ...
      (Focus-IDS)