Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: Bill Royds (broyds_at_rogers.com)
Date: 10/25/03

    To: "Martin Roesch" <roesch@sourcefire.com>, "Stephen P. Berry" <spb@meshuggeneh.net>
    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:30:31 -0400

    This is a very interesting point of view because it points to a new way of
    creating an IDS.
    What we really want is a language that describes the context of a system (in
    send of multiple servers, networks, programs etc.) and a language that
    describes the possible attacks at level of how those attacks can damage this
    system. We can then compile these two into a system vulnerability
    description that can optimally respond to data hitting the system.
       Now the main set of data for creating a particular implementation of an
    firewall is to have a systems description of data flows allowed into the
    system, a grammar of allowed input. This grammar can then create a filter
    that limits allowed data so that one has closer to an "allow only valid
    input, deny the rest" stance for actual data content, not just the present
    envelope view of most firewalls.
      The IDS' job is then to analyze that which was denied to determine why and
    tune the firewall to better filter in the future.
       The limit to this approach is similar to the concept of anomaly detection
    IDS, except that the anomalies are not strictly from context but from a
    grammar. The grammar is created by looking at the input/output descriptions
    for sostware running on the system (which includes the RFC for protocols
    allowed, the scanf/printf parameter set, "well known" values for buffer
    sizes in software etc.). This grammar view also allows for traffic
    normalizers attuned to the system that are protected.
      One integrates the concept of vulnerability scanner, firewall, IDS and
    honeypot in a single system.
    The vulnerability scanner and signature set create the grammar for the
    firewall rule.
    The firewall examines all traffic for conformance with the grammar. That
    which conforms is passed through to the system, that which fails is passed
    through to the honeypot that captures it and increases the contextual
    information for the IDS to analyze it (a honeypot running IIS would give the
    correct return code for an IIS attack without exposing the corporate data to
    the exploit). Essentially the honeypot mirrors the software base of the
    system without the vulnerable data set. True false positives (in Marty's
    sense) would point to a need for tuning the firewall to prevent a denial of
    service, but contextual false positives would only imply updating the
    honeypot.
     This still has the risk of false negatives, but monitoring the reaction of
    the real system could add more context information to the grammar to reduce
    those as well.