Re: Network IDS

From: Andreas Krennmair (netnews_at_synflood.at)
Date: 08/19/03

    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:02:36 +0200

    * Duston Sickler <dustons@charter.net> [gmane.comp.security.ids]:
    > The Network Administrator for the company I work for has charged me to
    > locate a Network Intrusion Detection System. We do have a monitored
    > firewall between us and the outside world. We need something to protect our
    > servers from anyone coming from the inside.

    Then a NIDS is not the right thing for you. Network Intrusion Detection
    is not about protecting systems.

    > We have about 20 Windows 2000
    > Servers, 5 NT 4 Servers, and 250 Windows 2000/Thin Net workstations.

    Put the servers into a demilitarized zone and turn off any network
    services that are running on the workstations/thin clients.

    regards, ak

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the worldÂ’s premier
    technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symanetc is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6 Visit: www.blackhat.com

    • tNIDS - A multi-threaded NIDS
      ... network Intrusion detection system to look at: ... Design details for a NIDS. ... Programming details such as C or C++. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • RE: IDS
      ... IDS is an acronym that stands for Intrusion Detection System. ... to as a NIDS, or Network Intrusion Detection System. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • What i am doing
      ... I am pursuing my MTECH and its my 4th sem.I need help in my project.This project is regarding Network security, to be specific network intrusion detection system. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • NIDS
      ... I'm looking for network intrusion detection system to connect with iptables under RedHat 9.0 ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)