Re: Network Taps

From: Andrew Plato (aplato_at_anitian.com)
Date: 05/20/03

    Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:15:36 -0700
    To: <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>

    > Hi
    > I have been meaning to put up a page on Network Taps for over a year
    and
    > have at last got around to it. There has been some movement with the
    likes
    > of Finisar taking over Shomiti but I can only find 4 manufacturing
    players
    > out there, being:

    > Intrusion
    > Network Critical
    > Finisar aka Shomiti
    > Net Optics

    > If there are any more out there please let me know so that I can
    include
    > them.

    Top Layer (www.toplayer.com) makes taps, IDS load balencers, etc.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    Enterprise Security &
    Infrastructure Solutions

    503-644-5656 Office
    503-644-8574 Fax
    503-201-0821 Mobile
    www.anitian.com
    ___________________________________

    INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

    IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
    - including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
    - enabling a path to prevention.

    Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2

    • RE: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me
      ... another security tool (VA, AV, firewall, etc.) that could have done the job ... I am not saying the IDS are always useless, but they are most useful as ... they denigrate Intrusion Prevention Systems and hail ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • AW: General term for Gateway IDS, IDP, IPS ...
      ... I'd like to know the general term for Gateway IDS, IDP, IPS ... ... Symantec Symantec Gateway Security,TopLayer Attack Mitigator IPS, ... I know NetScreen call their products "Intrusion Detectsion ... "Intrusion Prevention Solutions." ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: True definition of Intrusion Prevention
      ... Except that most seasoned Intrusion Detection Protects have had the ... Intrusion Prevention class.. ... and measuring security posture via vulnerability ... "Protect" means trying to prevent intrusions, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention
      ... "intrusion prevention" is the latest bandwagon marketing folks ... What makes matters worse is I think that "intrusion ... and probe detection" but rarely did they actually detect real compromises. ... Network Intrusion ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Low cost HID based IDS system
      ... It's a matter of economics, and yes, a false sense of security is worse ... Many customers, those small & ... > INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME? ... > IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM ...
      (Focus-IDS)