Re: Active response... some thoughts.

From: SecurityFocus (securityfocus@mitchelhome.com)
Date: 02/07/03

    From: "SecurityFocus" <securityfocus@mitchelhome.com>
    To: "Ralph Los" <RLos@enteredge.com>, "'Alan Shimel'" <alan@latis.com>, <detmar.liesen@lds.nrw.de>, <abegetchell@qx.net>, <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:30:53 -0600

    Please see my comments below (SF2/7/03)
    Take care, SF
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ralph Los" <RLos@enteredge.com>
    To: "'Alan Shimel'" <alan@latis.com>; <detmar.liesen@lds.nrw.de>;
    <abegetchell@qx.net>; <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
    Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:41 PM
    Subject: RE: Active response... some thoughts.

    > Alan, all,
    >
    > Without getting too much into single-vendor bashing, praising,
    > otherwise, let me take a step back and talk to iPs(es). I've heard a lot
    of
    > "buzz" lately from vendors (again, they will go un-named) about Intrusion
    > Prevention Systems. Well, the majority of these are signature-based.
    These
    > signature-based IPSes can actively BLOCK an attack from coming into the
    > system, even single packet attacks. This is useful in the following
    > scenario:
    > A single-packet attack (UDP or TCP) comes down the wire, the IDS
    > accepts it, finds a pattern matching a malicious packet (worm, etc) and
    > drops the packet on the wire before it gets past the in-line IDS.
    > However...and I say a BIG however, this ONLY WORKS for SIGNATURE-BASED
    > detection. I can't even fathom putting an IDS/IPS in-line currently that
    > does "anomaly detection" and active drops. If all of the sudden my
    network
    > traffic changed, say for the sake of argument that this is legit traffic
    > pattern changes, and the IPS drops these? That's my job on the line and
    > real dollars down the drain.
    > I agree whole-heartedly that Intrusion Detection/Prevention has yet
    > a lot of maturation to become useful as more of an automated solution.
    > Let's keep this in perspective, and realize some basic principles here as
    > security professionals:
    > 1. Security is a process not a product, right?
    (SF2/7/03) You hit that one on the head....there is no silver bullet.
    > 2. We would rather see LESS false-positives...at least I'd like it
    > 3. Active-response is great if you have a signature for it
    > already... (on-the-wire drops)
    (SF2/7/03) Signatures cant really be trusted...i.e. false alerts.
    > 4. Most major (real-world) threats are NON-SIGNATURE-READY attacks.
    > To clarify, SLAMMER was something an in-line IPS could drop if we were
    > psychic and were dropping packets based on a non-existant signature.
    (SF2/7/03) Signatures don't detect encrypted, undocumented or morphing
    attacks so they are only helpful to a degree.
    > 5. Firewalls are still our friends. They're a commodity! It still
    > baffles me that people are allowing all traffic EXCEPT x, y, z into their
    > network...WHY?!
    (SF2/7/03) Had me scratching my head here as well...is it just poor
    practices, laziness I don't know. Security by obscecurity does not
    work...implement real policy that mean policy on what comes in AND dont
    forget about what goes out.

    > I see potential in both types of IDSes/IPSes. On-the-wire fits some
    > topolgies, and span-port (TCP-RST) fits in some. I can't really tell you
    > which is better because we're comparing apples to cannon balls...but it's
    > probably going to be a debate that continues.
    (SF2/7/03) Latest buzzword here is what people are calling defense in
    depth...security takes the use of multiple tools. We even use multiple
    layers of firewalls that are different vendors on purpose....this way we
    hope that if there is a vunerability that exits on one brand the other wont
    have the same vunerability.

    > ...just my $0.02. Standard disclaimer about these being strictly my
    > opinions and not that of any of my employers applies.
    >
    > /Ralph/

    I'm
> [...]
    > exactly what's happening and sees that his connection is being reset. He
    > notices that in the resets the TTL in the IP header is 252 compared to 250
    > for normal responses. Knowing now that an IDS must be using active
    response
    > to keep him from exploiting the target server, he wants to find out where
    > this sensor resides. Referencing the source code of his favorite IDS (and
    > mine - Snort 1.9.0 from http://www.snort.org/ (SHAMELESS PLUG)), he finds
    > the following bits of code in sp_respond.c:
    >
    > libnet_build_ip(TCP_H, 0,
    > libnet_get_prand(PRu16) /* IP ID */ ,
    > 0 /* fragmentation */ , 255 /* TTL */ , IPPROTO_TCP,
    > 0, 0, NULL, 0, tcp_pkt);
    >
    > libnet_build_ip(ICMP_UNREACH_H, 0,
    > libnet_get_prand(PRu16) /* IP ID */ ,
    > 0 /* fragmentation */ , 255 /* TTL */ , IPPROTO_ICMP,
    > 0, 0, NULL, 0, icmp_pkt);
    >
    > He sees that these bits of code build the IP header for the TCP
    > reset and ICMP unreachable messages that the IDS uses for active response.
    > Knowing from this code that the TTL is statically set to 255 and hence,
    > that's what it was when the reset left the NIC of the IDS, he can then
    > easily trace the path backwards through each hop (assuming there's no
    > asymmetric routing happening) and determine on what segment the sensor
    > resides by using simple addition! This information is invaluable to the
    > attacker for future attacks against the network, and he now knows where he
    > should focus his attack if he wants to disable the sensor itself.
    > I posted a message about this on the Snort developers list quite
    > some time ago, which got a good discussion going, but we couldn't come up
    > with a good solution to this problem. I believe the best idea that we can
    > up with was to randomize the TTL, though if an attacker would see a whole
    > bunch of resets come back with TTL's that wildly jump around, that would
    be
    > a clue that the organization he is attacking is using Snort... and telling
    > an attacker what IDS you're using, is of course, a bad thing. Another
    good
    > idea was to let the user specify (in a configuration file somewhere for
    > those that don't build from source) a TTL that they wanted to use...
    > obviously you'd want to use some off-the-wall number like 213 or so. The
    > attacker wouldn't know what hop to count back too because he wouldn't know
    > what the TTL was originally set too.
    > Please note that I'm only using Snort as an example here because
    > it's the only IDS software that I have the source code for and could
    easily
    > pull an example from. I believe, but am not _sure_, that probably all IDS
    > software is affected by this specific issue. Of course, this is just
    > another good reason _not_ to use active response... or if you must, just
    > break the connection on the internal side. The attacker could manipulate
    > his TCP stack not to honor resets anyway. Thoughts?

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: Active response... some thoughts.
      ... Subject: AW: Active response... ... It's better to create a "blackhole" than flooding the attacker with tcp-resets ... Generating tcp resets can decrease the performance of your IDS a great deal, ... IDS, whatever flavour shall be irrelevant right now. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Active response... some thoughts.
      ... Subject: Active response... ... Netscreen IDS features TCP reset as a major feature of their ... between your attacker and your IDS, ... The attacker could modify his IP-stack such that resets are being ignored ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Active response... some thoughts.
      ... between your attacker and your IDS, ... of the IDS you have. ... Subject: AW: Active response... ... The attacker could modify his IP-stack such that resets are being ignored ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Active response... some thoughts.
      ... IDS sits on an organization's network by looking at the TTL in the IP ... header of the TCP reset or ICMP error message he receives in response to ... has a signature that resets the connection when it sees the exploit he's ... When the attacker sends his exploit to the target ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: Active response... some thoughts.
      ... It is good to remember that many IDS implementations send ... TCP RST to the two endpoints in the communication. ... the attacker can just simply hack his stack to igno ... stack such that resets are being ...
      (Focus-IDS)