how to build an inline ids?

From: spy guy (spyguy703@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/16/02

    From: spy guy <spyguy703@earthlink.net>
    To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com
    Date: 15 Nov 2002 15:00:45 -0800

    I have a question and I was hoping someone could help.

    Is it possible to build an x86 based PC as an in-line IDS?

    I want to install Snort IDS at home, but have no taps or equipment that
    can mirror/span ports.

    Can I build a Linux PC with 2 nics and put it inline between my firewall
    and adsl modem?

    I would like to have the NIC's in some sort of 'Stealth mode', so that
    no IP's are needed and thus my network config will not change. I just
    want the NIC's to pass traffic in both directions and then run snort to
    monitor the traffic on both.

    Is there a way to do this?