Concerns with NFR

From: Samuel Cure (scure@redbulltech.com)
Date: 06/21/02

From: "Samuel Cure" <scure@redbulltech.com>
To: <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:31:48 -0700

Say, I am looking into NFR for reselling additional IDS technologies. Like
to get some feedback and had some concerns based on recent discussions with
other security friends.

There is a rumor floating around that they are having financial bankruptcy
problems and I usually do not trust rumors, but with a private company that
does not disclose its financial status, it is hard to tell. Does anyone
know if this is even remotely possible?

Additionally, What happened to Marcus Ranum? He was the founder and driver
of NFR in its technology innovation. On a recent visit to NFR's website
under the mgt link (<http://www.nfr.com/pressroom/profile/>), Marcus is not
listed anywhere. Is this a sign that he is no longer involved?

I'm concerned when the technology genius and visionary behind a company
leaves without any statement.

As a reseller, my customers trust me to sell high quality products with a
long support life. I don't want to find out that NFR is no longer capable
of supporting my customers for the above reasons. Can anyone clarify and
cleanup these issues?

With too many IDS companies to choose from, I believe this market is going
to consolidate and many of these players won't be around tomorrow. I'm
trying to be picky in my selecting of IDS technology. If there is other IDS
technologies that people would highly recommend, please let me know.

-----
Samuel J. Cure