Re: Use of Taps for IDS

From: Baeder, Jason (GEIO) (Jason.Baeder@geio.ge.com)
Date: 03/11/02

From: "Baeder, Jason (GEIO)" <Jason.Baeder@geio.ge.com>
To: Greg Shipley <gshipley@neohapsis.com>, SEdwards@toplayer.com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:21:59 -0000

Stop the madness! At long last this is turning into a practical thread
(thanks to Greg). There are some valid points here that should be taken
seriously by the IDS/Switch/Tap vendors. There is a void in the marketplace
that needs to be filled (marketing people live for these kinds of
opportunities).

I think it's worth revisiting three potential solutions (in no order of
preference)

1. an IDS sensor that can accept the dual outputs from existing ethernet
taps on two different NICs and reassemble the traffic internally
2. an ethernet tap that puts outputs reassembled traffic on a single cable,
instead of two, allowing the output to go directly to an IDS' existing
single input NIC
3. a switch that can take output from multiple taps (representing multiple
distinct LAN segments) and mirror that traffic to individual IDS sensors
(one per LAN segment) at very heavy load and high speed (think Cisco 29xx
on steroids, able to handle an aggregate of 4-8 Gigs of traffic)

Would I pay more for the right solution? Yes, I would. Can I quantify that
now? No I can't.
Note to Mr. Edwards: solution #3 is _not_ load balancing, just multiple
mirrors (and no flow control either)

Vendors, start your engines......

Jason