Re: SHADOW - ssh autologon problem

From: Drew (simonis@myself.com)
Date: 01/25/02

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:16:00 -0500
From: Drew <simonis@myself.com>
To: "Jerry A. Shenk" <jshenk@decommunications.com>

"Jerry A. Shenk" wrote:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with a SHADOW installation that's been
> running for two years. The problem is that I can't keep from being prompted
> for a password when fetchem.pl runs (using the -debug switch and watching
> /tmp/fetchem.log). If I try to scp or ssh from the command-line, I'm right
> in, without the password prompt.

I assume that you are using a key without a passphrase for the script
to authenticate with, so it makes no sense that a normal interactive
logon would prompt you for a password (since there is none) unless you
were using a different key, as in coming in as a different user. If
coming in as another user, perhaps with no key and falling back to
password auth, then this is conceivable.

But, it doesn't have a thing to do with Shadow, or IDS in general.
I see that you posted to the ssh newsgroup, and thats probably where
you'll find the better answers.

-Ds