RE: how can I track networked games

From: Alex Arndt (aarndt@rogers.com)
Date: 01/04/02

From: "Alex Arndt" <aarndt@rogers.com>
To: "Mike Gilles" <mike.gilles@itmtech.com>, <Richard.CTR.Mickey@tc.faa.gov>, "Jamie French" <J.French@ottawa.com>, <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:27:20 -0500

Greetings,

An important port to add to your list would be Microsoft DirectPlay.
This is the networking portion the DirectX suite and binds to one
distinct port - UDP 28800.

Any game that is DirectX compatible will normally use this port, but
as Jamie pointed out, there's no guarantees that you'll always see
play on the default ports.

In any case, the best way to find those games is using either your
sniffers or monitoring your throughput on the outbound interface of
your border router. A sudden spike in high port UDP (especially around
lunch or at the beginning/end of the day) is a pretty good sign some
gaming is going on.

Hope this helps!

Alex Arndt, GCIA
"Within all order is the potential for chaos..."