RE: how can I track networked games

From: Mike Gilles (mike.gilles@itmtech.com)
Date: 01/03/02

From: Mike Gilles <mike.gilles@itmtech.com>
To: Richard.CTR.Mickey@tc.faa.gov, focus-ids@securityfocus.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:12:03 -0500

Rich,

Here's a list of the ports "typically" used by some of the most popular
online games currently. I do stress typically because they are ephemeral
ports after all and are subject to change. The ports are UDP unless
otherwise stated. So here they are:

Half Life, TFC:
any to or from 27005
any to or from 27015
any to or from 27016

Quake 3: Arena:
any to or from 26000, 27000, 27910, 27960

Starcraft:
any to or from 6112

Quake II:
any to or from 27901
any to or from 27910

QuakeWorld:
any to or from 27500
any to or from 27001

Unreal:
any to or from 7777

Diablo2 and Battlenet:
any to or from 6112
any to or from TCP 116, 118

I got some of these from your brethren at NASA... here's the link:
http://www.caida.org/analysis/AIX/. The others I know from experience
*cough* I mean I've seen them used :)

BTW: No one plays DOOM anymore, but if they did, I think it operates on UDP
port 666.

Hope this helps,

 Michael John Gilles
 Lead Security Engineer, MCSE