RE: external database for Cisco IDS

From: Alex Arndt (aarndt@rogers.com)
Date: 12/20/01

From: "Alex Arndt" <aarndt@rogers.com>
To: "jim patterson" <jimp@cityscape.net>, "'jim terry'" <jtixthus@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:54:39 -0500

Seasons Greetings,

I don't want to appear too harsh here, but I must ask what context you're
basing your advice WRT the FTP copy on?

I know that you can configure Cisco IDS Sensors through CSPM (or UNIX
Director's nrConfigure utility for those of us who use it) to copy their
log files to a central logging point via FTP (using the sapd daemon), but
I don't think that it applies to the database on the machine running CSPM.

The exact method for exporting the CSPM data escapes me now, but I sure
that it's not via FTP. I think you have to use some sort of 'export' type
command from the DB interface...

I have some documentation (alas, not at my fingertips) that I can use to
confirm this, but you'll have to bear with some lag time.

Alex Arndt, GCIA
"Within all order is the potential for chaos..."