IDS on Switched Networks

From: Paul W. Stoecker, Ph.D. (stoeckp@research.panasonic.com)
Date: 12/05/01

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:55:55 -0500
From: "Paul W. Stoecker, Ph.D." <stoeckp@research.panasonic.com>
To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

Folks,

If you are on a switched network, do you have to place your NIDS sensor
in a location that can capture everything. For instance, my firewall is
connected into a router which contains all of my switches and acts as a
switch itself.

Do I have to put the sensor in the critical path? Does that mean that I
have to put a sensor on the Firewall, use another machine that is a
router, or do I need a hub for the sensor and firewall to share?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

--
Paul W. Stoecker, Ph.D
Network and Information Systems Manager

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Newbie Questions
    ... The IT guys at work are hush hush about everything. ... I assume that the router ... They have like five switches with 16 or so ... They also have a Cyberguard firewall, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Looking for 8-port switch / firewall / router
    ... - firewall ... (An absolute optional would also be an 802.11g WLAN router ... Unfortuately there does not seem to be such a piece of hardware on the ... I have found only 4-port switches which have additional ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Kein Ping möglich
    ... >und genau im Router ist eine Firewall. ... ein cross-over Kabel zusammenhänge habe ich keinen Ping. ... Netzwerk, also Switches anpinge, dann bekomme ich einen ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
  • Re: Busch and Mueller taillight question
    ... have a light sensor as well as a motion sensor, ... That's the way the lamp is supposed to operate, ... switches it off after a delay, absence of movement switches it off ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Need help to extend capabilities of a simple proximity circuit
    ... I have extended the kit with another kit to add relay ... So when an object nears the sensor it switches the ... All this is a simple kit set circuit that runs on 12V. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)