Snort 1.8.3 Released

From: Martin Roesch (
Date: 11/30/01

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:20:38 -0500
From: Martin Roesch <>
To: snort-users <>, snort-announce <>, focus-ids <>,,, snort-dev <>
Subject: Snort 1.8.3 Released

Snort 1.8.3 is now available on the Downloads page at This is a bugfix release with little additional
functionality, but some of the bug fixes are important:

* Fixed potential crashbug in frag2 (IP defragmenter) under Linux

* Fixed flexresp code, session sniping should work again and
  be faster as well (added TCP packet caching to flexresp)

* Fixed ICMP decoder and printout routines for new ICMP header
  data structs in decode.h

* Added -B command line switch to translate IP addresses in pcap
  files from one subnet to another for obfuscation/publication
  purposes (see the man page, implemented for the Honeynet Project).

* Added spo_log_null to give users an option to deactivate logging
  output from the snort.conf file.

Martin Roesch - President, Sourcefire Inc. - (410)552-6999 -
Snort: Open Source Network IDS -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SOHO Hardware IDS
    ... At 09:41 AM 11/10/2003, Ron Gula wrote: ... >>functionality of the Snort IDS. ... I know I could build a cheap Linux box, ... functionality, VPN, and firewall feature set. ...
  • Re: Snort firewalling on Term Serv?
    ... I believe I heard a rumor that a future version of Snort is to include this ... functionality, at least in the *nix version. ... > Since then does snort provide firewalling functionality? ...