Re: Realsecure

From: Stover, S.f. (sstover@enterasys.com)
Date: 10/12/01

From: "Stover, S.f." <sstover@enterasys.com>
To: "Kevin Brown" <kbrownfox@home.com>, <bwalder@nss.co.uk>, "'Greg Shipley'" <gshipley@neohapsis.com>, <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Realsecure
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:21:58 -0500

Ok, ok, I really didn't want to do this, but I'm stepping out. So here goes:

Disclaimer: I WORK FOR THE VENDOR THAT PLACED 2ND/3RD IN THIS "TEST". I'M
SURE SOME OF YOU EXPECT ME TO BE PISSY BECAUSE WE DIDN'T PLACE FIRST, SO I'LL
KEEP THAT IN MIND AS I POST.

On Thursday 11 October 2001 21:49, Kevin Brown wrote:
> I agree with Bob. Testing IS a bleepin' nightmare, especially when you
> only have a few weeks to test several products.

Who set up those limitations on the test? Other companies take more time for
their tests, why couldn't you? As I understand it, you only had a couple of
days per product - why not stretch it out? Complaining about self-imposed
strictures??

> Personally, I'd love to
> have each product for several weeks and test under a dozen or more
> different scenarios. Unfortunately, vendors aren't willing to pay for this
> type of testing :-)

Not sure what you mean by this? We pay for testing all the time. Also,
there are other companies that test for months and we are willing to give
them what they need to accurately test our product. Why wouldn't we? If we
help you test our product, then we look good. Have you actually asked
vendors to work with you on long-term "bake-off" testing? I'm not talking
about the Intrusion.com test you guys did where you create marketing
literature for one product - I mean a REAL multi-vendor bake-off.

Ok, so now I have those questions asked, I would like to ask a question of
the good citizens/customers out there. How do you feel about the 2 top
market-share products tying for first place? Do you think that's as
ridiculous as I do? Just for the record, I'm defying their ranking and I
take it that Dragon placed 3rd. You just don't tie for things like the
Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, ad infinitum. Why is this any different? Like I
said before, I expect that some of you will think that I'm just being a
sore-loser. Fine. Define sore loser.

Do I think Dragon is better than 3rd? Yes.
Am I losing sleep over this test? No.
Have I been mean to small children since these results came out? No.
Have I attacked the 1st place finisher(s)? No.

All I can say is that if there wasn't a tie, I wouldn't be bitching.

Peace, out.

- --

Samuel f. Stover
Director of IDS QA
Enterasys Networks/NSW
sstover@enterasys.com
GPG Key Fingerprint: 768E C80E 4AAD 63A3 DA0D B2F2 8529 52E3 3F91 2AA5

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Rookie question: Tie downs
    ... How do you find out where they want you to park and who/how much to pay? ... As for overnight fees, if nobody's there when you arrive you can pay them when ... Tie down fees are typically very ... I'd stay away from the biggest airports if there's a general aviation field ...
    (rec.aviation.student)
  • Re: ($1 to Growcho Marx}
    ... If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five ... and we're giving you a tie. ... It was wrote for idots like yew. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: ACTION ALERT for cigar enthusiasts!
    ... it's a great inducement to attract the sort of talent a company ... needs -- but it is also a great way to tie a worker to his job even if ... better benefits, along with pay. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Fly Fishing Speakers
    ... We had Mark Seddotti come out in his stead and a ... and gives casting demonstrations. ... we pay and pay for their room and board for the trip) ... I cant tie flies very well, but I can tie my shoes. ...
    (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly)