RE: "Another" Newbie IDS Question

From: McCammon, Keith (Keith.McCammon@eadvancemed.com)
Date: 10/03/01

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon@eadvancemed.com>
To: 'netsecurity' <netsecurity@duracompanies.com>, focus-ids@securityfocus.com
Subject: RE: "Another" Newbie IDS Question
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:36:55 -0400

This can go any number of ways, depending on what you're interested in
seeing. I prefer to place one in front and one behind my firewall. The one
in front serves as a sort of early warning system, and is invaluable when
dealing with a Nimda, CodeRed, etc. You can place a switch between the
router and the firewall, and hang a promiscuous interface off of off a
monitoring port.

The one behind the firewall can be tailored to look for much more specific
signatures, because you have an increased level of control of over the
traffic on your internal network. You can obviously use a number of
interfaces and monitoring points (just after firewall, just before DMX,
etc.), depending on 1) sensitivity of data, 2) general interest, or 3) your
level of paranoia.

Cheers

Keith