RE: Effectiveness of a Honeypot

From: Scot Favorite (sfavorite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08/29/01

From: "Scot Favorite" <sfavorite@worldnet.att.net>
To: <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Effectiveness of a Honeypot
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:56:55 -0400

>Matt,

>I would not think so unless you knew the cracker was using you a relay
>point.

>There must be intent to commit a crime before one can be brought up on
>criminal charges.

>Worst comes to worst, you could be tried as an accomplice. It would be
like
>harboring a criminal after a
>jail break or crime.

>However, the law must be written before it is a crime. That is if you live
>in a Penal Code state and not a
>Common Law State. Federal laws apply as well.

>Greg
>former law enforcement major turned geek

I think you are right about being criminally liable but that doesn't mean
that
you couldn't be held civilly liable for damages. Actually I think you would
be very liable. It will be hard to explain in court that: 1) Yes I did put
this
system out there knowing it was susceptible to attack, 2) I was hoping it
would be hacked,
3) it was used as an attack vehicle on company X but hey don't blame me. If
I owned company X,
I would blame you for damages done to me based from your network/honeypot.

Scot

Relevant Pages

  • =?windows-1252?Q?What_The_Heretical_2_Case_Says_About_The_Federal_=93?= =?windows-1252?Q?Hat
    ... arrested on "hate crime" charges, should they ever so much as change ... And yet, the American MainStream Media ... discreditable to her but irrelevant to American law. ... white men against blacks were being inadequately punished was a lie. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: For the Cardinal, the issue of prisoners is case closed
    ... people convicted under the abusive laws of the Cuban regime Dan Christensen aka DCPROOF. ... Dangerousness Law 88 Article 91 ... Article 144, which defines the crime of desacato, or "disrespect." ... These articles come under the heading, "The Dangerous Status and Security Measures," a section of the Penal Code under which someone can be sentenced for up to four years in prison on the grounds that the authorities believe the individual has a "special proclivity" to commit crimes, even though he or she might not have actually committed a crime. ...
    (soc.culture.cuba)
  • Self defence
    ... responsible member of society. ... If the crime under consideration is rape, there is some notable waffling on ... non-lethal weapons she may acceptably carry, such as whistles, keys, mace ... someone needs to inform the law enforcement ...
    (uk.politics.misc)