Re: IDS and Firewall on the same =but> POWERFULL BOX

From: HuinM@aol.com
Date: 08/03/01

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:44:10 EDT
From: HuinM@aol.com
Subject: Re: IDS and  Firewall on the same =but> POWERFULL BOX
To: <rajeev@rajeevnet.com>, <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>, <rajeev@rajeevnet.com>

short answer : if the box is down for any reason ( DoS, physical problem ... ), you lose BOTH of your network filters, leaving you quite naked .

I am sure there are quite more problems with this kind of deployment, but it's all that came to mind almost immediately . Of course, I may be wrong =)

Matthieu Huin

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Thinking about Security rules...
    ... > Subject: Re: Thinking about Security rules... ... >>rules for the IDS. ... by which you attack. ... firewalls in series isn't nearly as nice as a stateful firewall coupled ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Is IDS/IPS worthless?
    ... >>firewall instead of in front of it should BOTH ... >>fill in the gap left by the false sense of security firewalls give (a ... >IDS technology and I certainly believe in the usefullness of IDS. ... that is confusing IDS and NIDS together. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Gartner comments (was Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me)
    ... All IDS systems produce falses. ... In fact, all network security ... firewall monitoring long before they deployed their first IDS. ... Gartner, you really missed the boat on this one. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: IDS on Switched Networks
    ... connecting a network IDS to it would be fine. ... Higher state of alert you know what attacks you are ... If your firewall has NAT turned on, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: IDS, IPS or just rubbish
    ... then it sounds a lot like an IDS to me. ... I wonder what ISS' new firewall will be called? ... They do not have many signatures. ... world's premier technical IT security event! ...
    (Focus-IDS)