RE: high speed nids

From: Chris Deibler (
Date: 08/03/01

From: Chris Deibler <>
Subject: RE: high speed nids
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:19:29 -0400

        A rumor shared by many. As it stands, the NetworkICE Gigabit Sentry
is the only realistic choice for giga-speed IDS, and ISS was shrewd to
purchase that ability. As far as the engine is concerned, the NI products
actually mirror the IP stack for decoding and detection, as opposed to
inserting shims into the stack, a technique used by many other IDS vendors.
Part of my company's offerings is the resale of NetworkICE (value added or
straight), and we have been continually impressed with the performance of
the engine. Doesn't match the sheer fun-factor of a rack of snort boxes,
but hey, what does?

Chris Deibler
VigilantMinds, Inc.