Prado TJavaScript::encode() script injection vulnerability

Prado TJavaScript::encode() script injection vulnerability

Vulnerability severity : medium
Vulnerability type : cross-site script injection attack
cookie theft
session hijacking
stealing of sensitive information

Remotely exploitable : yes

Vulnerability discovery date : 2012/03/07
Vulnerability discovered by : Gabor Berczi <gabor.berczi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Proof of concept exploit created : 2012/03/11
Proof of concept exploit developed by : Gabor Berczi <gabor.berczi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Fix created : 2012/03/07
Fix developed by : Gabor Berczi <gabor.berczi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Vulnerability reported to vendor : 2011/03/07

Affected products : PRADO (PHP Framework) 3.x

The vulnerability allows injection of arbitrary JavaScript snippets into some of the
standard controls built into PRADO, if the latter try to display or use string type
information that begins with user-supplied data fragments. This can be used by a remote
attacker to hijack a victim's session and steal sensitive information.

The vulnerability exists because the affected standard controls do not escape user-supplied
textual information properly when rendering the JavaScript code for their client-side wrappers,
and because the PRADO Framework provides currently no way for the application or component
developers to supply textual information to said controls in an XSS-safe way. The latter also
means that several 3rd party components or application might be also affected by the issue,
even if they don't use any of the vulnerable standard controls, but pass information the same
way to the client-side as the former do.

A fix has been already provided for the vulnerability, alongside with a PoC exploit.

http://code.google.com/p/prado3/issues/detail?id=391

Relevant Pages

  • wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit
    ... Subject: wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit ... developed single-handedly by my good friend Andrew Plughes over the ... vulnerability, so I won't soak in Andrew's credit;). ... I have sent the developers the intricate details ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • [Squid 2004-betaNC-001] Inadequate Security Checking in NukeCops betaNC Bundle
    ... Nuke Cops betaNC PHP-Nuke Bundle w/ PHPNuke 6.5 and later ... maintained by the "official" PhpNuke developers at NukeCops ... Note 2: Vulnerability: Full path disclosure. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Squid 2004-Nuke-001] Inadequate Security Checking in PHPNuke v7.3 and earlier
    ... PhpNuke's core, module, and patch developers added a simple security checking ... In the majority of cases here, exploition of this vulnerability will display ... Note 2: Vulnerability: Full path disclosure. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • WARNING! Fake exploit (was: wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit)
    ... Fake exploit (was: wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit) ... >vulnerability, so I won't soak in Andrew's credit;). ... I have sent the developers the intricate details ... > integer derived from a malicious command length is used as ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit
    ... Subject: wuftpd 2.6.1 advisory/exploit ... > vulnerability, so I won't soak in Andrew's credit;). ... I have sent the developers the intricate details ... > integer derived from a malicious command length is used as ...
    (Vuln-Dev)