Re: [Full-disclosure] pidgin OTR information leakage

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Michele Orru wrote:
I think you didn't understood the content of the advisory.
If there are 10 non-root users in an Ubuntu machine for example,
if user 1 is using pidgin with OTR compiled with DBUS, then user 2 to 10
can see what user 1 pidgin conversation.

This is not what the OP or CVE describe:

plaintext. This makes it possible for attackers that have gained
user-level access on a host, to listen in on private conversations
associated with the victim account.

Which I read as: if I compromise user1's account then I can snoop user1's DBUS sessions. It says nothing about me being able to snoop user2's sessions. The leading phrase about attackers gaining user-level access implies that legitimate users on a system are not a relevant issue.

I believe that clarification is in order.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science