silly PoCs continue: X-Frame-Options give you less than expected

[ Resubmitting - I think the original post did not go through last
week, but some of the responses did, so probably an accident. ]

---

I think we greatly underappreciate the extent to which JavaScript
allows you to exploit the limits of human perception. On modern
high-performance systems, windows can be opened, positioned, and
closed; and documents loaded and then navigated away from; so quickly
that we can't even reliably notice that, let alone react consciously.

The PoC I posted here earlier this week
(http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/switch/) demonstrates one example of page
transitions occurring so fast that you don't register it; and some of
my earlier posts outlined the exploitation of page switching to
exploit browser UIs (e.g. http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/ffgeo2/). Today,
I wanted to share this brief demonstration of an attack that should
hopefully illustrate why our current way of thinking about
clickjacking (and the possible defenses, such as X-Frame-Options) is
flawed:

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/clickit/

The basic idea here is that instead of placing the UI you want to
tamper with in an invisible or only partly-visible <iframe>, you can
achieve a similar effect simply by predicting the time of a
premeditated click (which is fairly easy if you look at mouse velocity
and distance to the expected destination), and then either destroying
the current window, or navigating to a different document (in this
case, a cheesy banking site).

While everything about this exploit is extremely goofy, and I put no
effort into making the transitions less obvious, it should still
demonstrate the issue neatly.

/mz

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-disclosure] silly PoCs continue: X-Frame-Options give you less than expected
    ... On modern ... high-performance systems, windows can be opened, positioned, and ... or navigating to a different document (in this ... effort into making the transitions less obvious, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms Namespace
    ... guys read the original post. ... the classes in that group of classes is derived from MessageWindow class. ... You *do* realize that you're posting to a Windows CE programming group, ... Managed Code in an Embedded World ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: What the hell is this?!!!
    ... The war crime of aggression is one that only those with power can commit. ... > serving in our armed forces were forced to fight or face a dishonorable ... >> As was pointed out in the ORIGINAL post, calling from Iraq is not a free ... >> re-activate his legally purchased copy of Windows? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Are sub-routines parameters called by reference or called by value?
    ... I can't find the original post via Google Groups, unfortunately, but there IS a fairly complete listing of how byval/byref works in various ways when calling a procedure that was provided by Eric Lippert, one of the key VBScript developers. ... sub mycalc parm1 parm2 ... I would be very glad with a solution from reliable source. ... I also referred to "Windows 2000 Windows Script Host" by Tim Hill before my original reply. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • IIS doesnt display ASP pages, COM+ damaged
    ... Original post: ... I have a problem with ASP Pages not working on my Windows XP ... Component services, open up the node for Component services and click ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)