[Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-011] Oracle JD Edwards JDENET Buffer Overflow
- From: Onapsis Research Labs <research@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:46:05 -0300
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-011: Oracle JD Edwards JDENET Buffer Overflow
This advisory can be downloaded in PDF format from http://www.onapsis.com/.
By downloading this advisory from the Onapsis Resource Center, you will gain access to beforehand information on upcoming advisories, presentations
and new research projects from the Onapsis Research Labs, as well asexclusive access to special promotions for upcoming trainings and conferences.
?1. Impact on Business
By exploiting this vulnerability, a remote unauthenticated attacker might be able to access or modify all the business information processed by the
This would result in the total compromise of the ERP infrastructure.
- -- Risk Level: High
2. Advisory Information
- -- Release Date: 2011-04-27
- -- Last Revised: 2011-04-27
- -- Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2011-11
- -- Onapsis SVS ID: ONAPSIS-00018
- -- Researcher: Juan Pablo Perez Etchegoyen
3. Vulnerability Information
- -- Vendor: ORACLE
- -- Affected Components:
* JD Edwards 9.0 EnterpriseOne Server + EnterpriseOne Tools 8.98
( older versions might be also affected)
- -- Vulnerability Class: Memory corruption
- -- Remotely Exploitable: Yes
- -- Locally Exploitable: No
- -- Authentication Required: No
- -- Original Advisory: http://www.onapsis.com/resources/get.php?resid=adv_onapsis-2011-11
4. Affected Components Description
JDENet is a network communication middleware that performs network communications workstation-to-server and server-to-server. It is used to call
remote functions, to authenticate users and transmit information between hosts in a JD Edwards environment.
5. Vulnerability Details
If a packet of a specific size is sent to the JDENet Service, a heap based buffer overflow condition is raised.
Further technical details about this issue are not disclosed at this moment with the purpose of providing enough time to affected customers to patch
their systems and protect against the exploitation of the
Apply Oracle Critical Patch update April ? 2010. More information available on http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/cpuapr2011-301950.html
Onapsis strongly recommends Oracle customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce
7. Report Timeline
* 2010-09-20: Onapsis provides vulnerability information to Oracle.
* 2010-09-21: Oracle confirms reception of vulnerability submission.
* 2010-09-24: Oracle states vulnerability is under investigation.
* 2010-10-07: Oracle confirms vulnerability.
* 2011-04-19: Oracle releases fixes in CPU.
* 2011-04-27: Onapsis releases security advisory.
About Onapsis Research Labs
Onapsis is continuously investing resources in the research of the security of business critical systems and applications.
With that objective in mind, a special unit ? the Onapsis Research Labs ? has been developed since the creation of the company. The experts involved
in this special team lead the public research trends in this matter, having discovered and published many of the public security vulnerabilities in
The outcome of this advanced and cutting-edge research is continuously provided to the Onapsis Consulting and Development teams, improving the quality
of our solutions and enabling our customers to be protected from the latest risks to their critical business information.
Furthermore, the results of this research projects are usually shared with the general security and professional community, encouraging the sharing of
information and increasing the common knowledge in this field.
Onapsis is the leading provider of solutions for the security of ERP and business-critical systems and applications. Through different innovative
products and services, Onapsis helps its global customers to effectively increase the security level of their core business platforms, protecting
their information and decreasing financial fraud risks.
Onapsis is built upon a team of world-renowned experts in the ERP security field, with several years of experience in the assessment and protection of
critical platforms in world-wide customers, such as
Fortune-500 companies and governmental entities.
Our star product, Onapsis X1, enables our customers to perform automated Security & Compliance Audits, Vulnerability Assessments and Penetration Tests
over their SAP platform, helping them enforce compliance requirements, decrease financial fraud risks an reduce audit costs drastically.
Some of our featured services include SAP Penetration Testing, SAP Gateway & RFC security, SAP Enterprise Portal security assessment, Security Support
for SAP Implementations and Upgrades, SAP System Hardening and SAP Technical Security Audits.
For further information about our solutions, please contact us at info@xxxxxxxxxxx and visit our website at www.onapsis.com.
Copyright (c) 2011 Onapsis SRL. All rights reserved.
This advisory may be distributed as long as its distribution is free-of-charge and proper credit is given.
The Onapsis Research Labs Team
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- Prev by Date: [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-008] Oracle JD Edwards JDENET CallObjectKernel Remote Command Execution
- Next by Date: [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-012] Oracle JD Edwards JDENET Firewall Bypass
- Previous by thread: [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-008] Oracle JD Edwards JDENET CallObjectKernel Remote Command Execution
- Next by thread: [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-012] Oracle JD Edwards JDENET Firewall Bypass