A vulnerability in Kaspersky Antivirus
- From: daniel lopez <danielxdad@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 16:47:48 +0100
I write to notify a vulnerability in Kaspersky Antivirus that allows
the code injection in the process that is executed in user's context,
1. The modification, creation and elimination of the values and keys
in the Registration with respect to the configuration of the
2. The modification, creation and elimination of folders and files in
the installation directory protected by this.
The versions in which this vulnerability has been proven have been the
The version 188.8.131.527, it detects and it refuses the intrusion; the
version 184.108.40.2065 don't detect the intrusion but it doesn't execute
The code injection is possible from an user restricted with minimum privileges
The vulnerability this related with Pro-active Defense, specifically
in the event of Sub-control of Windows, which controls the
installation of hooks among applications; this for defect comes
disabled when installing the antivirus allowing this breach of
security, because it is not verified on the part of the protection.
The vulnerability can be mitigated activating the event of Sub-control
The exploit is simple:
1. To obtain the one identifies of a thread associated to a window of
the antivirus, by means of the function GetWindowThreadProcessId ().
ThId=GetWindowThreadProcessId (hWnd, & Pid);
2. To install the hook by means of the function SetWindowsHookEx
associated to our dll.
hHook=SetWindowsHookEx (WH_GETMESSAGE, HookProc, hMod, ThId);
3. And to send a message to the window for the activation of the installed hook.
SendMessage (hWnd, WM_SETFOCUS,0,0);
The vulnerability was notified to Kaspersky Lab the January 20 2010.
- Next by Date: Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in Mango
- Next by thread: Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in Mango