Re: Samba Remote Zero-Day Exploit

I find it puzzling how this discussion, including the official Samba
response

http://www.samba.org/samba/news/symlink_attack.html

fails to consider whether the mentioned configuration (when admin sets
non-default "writeable = yes" but leaving default "wide links = yes")
allows write access to the whole filesystem (where the user has UNIX
rights). I also wonder about the interaction with the setting of "unix
extensions" (which I had set to non-default "no" to help Mac clients).

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney Australia

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Samba Remote Zero-Day Exploit
    ... fails to consider whether the mentioned configuration (when admin sets ... allows write access to the whole filesystem (where the user has UNIX ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Malloc
    ... standard *could* have provided a method for getting a list of files ... is specific to Unix even though they are provided with Unix type ... I know of systems where opening a binary file in text mode fails. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: JAI problem.
    ... it works finally as I used ImageIcon Class. ... Infact it is a sample program and my real needs are like this. ... fails in Unix. ... But I could not compile this program, as it repeatedly fails saying cannot ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Re: Unix assigning permissions to windows 2000/3 folders
    ... I have talked to other Unix ... information and then spawns another script that excutes a 'sudo' command. ... If all else fails - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! ...
  • Re: Planning to learn C/a new language, your suggestions please
    ... > compiler available for almost every platform? ... Assembler - improves C, fails D, E. ...
    (comp.lang.c)