Re: Five days left to find the oldest data loss incident

On 11-May-09, at 7:29 AM, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:

The oldest documented vulnerability in computer security world is password file disclosure vulnerability from 1965, found by Mr. Ryan Russell.

Open Security Foundation launched a competition in April to find the oldest documented data loss incident.

They have announced that the last day to make a submission is next Friday - 15th May.

The contest page is located at
http://datalossdb.org/oldest_incidents_contest

Juha-Matti

Mechanical computers are computers. The loss and the algorithmic crack of the Enigma machine circa 1939 should count - the story and break
of the more difficult 4 rotor Naval Machine at Bletchley park recovered from the U-boat and cracked in 1941 is the most famous.

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmauboats.htm

But I would nominate the break of the 3 Rotor Enigma circa 1939, by the Polish, as the first documented computer security vulnerability.

http://www.avoca.ndirect.co.uk/enigma/index.html

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
London, U.K. May 27/28 2009 http://eusecwest.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Insecurity in Finnish parlament (computers)
    ... > It is unlikely that all the computers have the same security ... > (both in TeliaSonera and in our parlament). ... Red herring. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Basic Security Help
    ... a network is weak or no passwords followed by malicious user on your ... -- Use password policy to enforce strong passwords in the domain by enabling ... -- Be sure that computers are kept current of critical security updates from ... Windows Updates or using a SUS server to authorize and distribute security ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... Can Easy To Use Software Also Be Secure ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Is complete home security possible?
    ... > If you are a gamer, some computer games will only run in administrator ... I have a clean disk image made from Norton Ghost, ... security issues to deal with to do it monthly, ... I have been using computers since 76, never had a virus on any of my ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Basic Security Help
    ... for XP Home you "might" be able to access the built in administrator account ... friend or family member that knows a bit about computers to help you. ... >> a network is weak or no passwords followed by malicious user on your ... >> Antivirus in Depth Guide available at the TechNet Security Center can ...
    (microsoft.public.security)