Advanced application-level OS fingerprinting

My research paper is done!

There have been a few corrections, updates, additions, and the paper is overall much better now. For those of you who missed the pre-release announcement made on this list, here's an excerpt that summarizes the paper fairly well:

"...I present an alternate approach to application-level OS fingerprinting. The general idea is that there are certain requests that can be made to cross-platform applications which result in OS-dependant responses."

And here's the goods...

RAR (contains all three formats):
http://www.x10security.org/appOSfingerprint.rar
TXT:
http://www.x10security.org/appOSfingerprint.txt
PDF:
http://www.x10security.org/appOSfingerprint.pdf
PPT:
http://www.x10security.org/appOSfingerprint.ppt

Enjoy!

--
Dan Crowley
"One machine can do the work of one hundred ordinary men. No machine can do the work of an extraordinary man."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Address book problem
    ... When did you last compact all folders in Outlook Express? ... BAZ (Bonnie) ... I get automatic updates. ... There were some corrections made. ...
  • Re: Navigation bar
    ... I am not sure how to select Office Updates when in Windows Updates. ... I downloaded the SP2 Office Update and ran it from my desktop, ... When I go to "About Microsoft Office Publisher," I see 'Microsoft Office ... your web, go back to the original Publisher file, make the corrections ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Updates
    ... >From way back when I bought the eMap, my house was on the wrong side of a major street. ... I have sent many updates but no correction. ... I have beta tested for a map software company for a number of years. ... corrections I had been sending in all during the test period were still wrong. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • New EDICT/JMdict versions released
    ... Just clearing a backlog of additions and corrections. ... The updates are installed on WWWJDIC and the ftp site. ...
    (sci.lang.japan)