HACKATTACK Advisory 20081016]WEB//NEWS SQL Injection and Cookie Manipulation
- From: office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: 16 Oct 2008 11:48:13 -0000
[HACKATTACK Advisory 20081016]WEB//NEWS SQL Injection and Cookie Manipulation
Discovered by: David Vieira-Kurz
http://www.HACKATTACK.at / www.HACKATTACK.eu
WEB//NEWS 1.4 and prior
WEB//NEWS is an easy to handle news management system which works with MySQL/PHP.
1. SQL Injection:
Input passed to the "catid" parameter in "search.php" using $_POST is not properly sanitised before being used in a SQL query.
This can be exploited to manipulate SQL queries by injecting arbitrary SQL code.
After a successfull sql injection and getting the required administrator password hash, an attacker is able to bypass the
login with the given information and to gain full administrative access on the news management system.
1. an attacker have to input a keyword into the keyword textfield. This is required for successfull exploitation.
2. An attacker will post the follwing sql statement to categorie id field:
') union select 1,2,3,4,5,password,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 from wn_user where userid=1/**
Upgrade to newest version(1.4.1a)
Edit the source code to ensure that input is properly sanitised.
You should work with "htmlspecialchars()" or "htmlentities()" php-function to ensure that html tags
are not going to be executed. You should also work with the "mysql_real_escape_string()" or "addslashes()" php-function to ensure that sql statements
can't be delivered over the "get" variables. Further it is recommend to set off the "register globals" option in the
"php.ini" on your webserver. It's also possible to turn on magic_quotes.
$password = htmlentities($_POST['catid']);
$file = htmlspecialchars($_GET['keyword']);
$id = intval($_POST['id']);
22.09.2008 discovery of the vulnerabilities
22.09.2008 additional tests with other versions
24.09.2008 contacted the vendor
15.10.2008 advisory is written
16.10.2008 advisory released
HACKATTACK IT SECURITY GmbH is an Austrian Penetrationtest and security Assesement company which focuses
on web application security and firewall security.
You can find more Information about HACKATTACK at
- Prev by Date: SEC Consult SA-20081016-0 :: Remote command execution in Instant Expert Analysis
- Next by Date: rPSA-2008-0295-1 rails
- Previous by thread: SEC Consult SA-20081016-0 :: Remote command execution in Instant Expert Analysis
- Next by thread: rPSA-2008-0295-1 rails