Team SHATTER Security Advisory: Oracle Database Buffer Overflow in SYS.KUPF$FILE_INT.GET_FULL_FILENAME (DB11)
- From: Team SHATTER <shatter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:16:41 +0100
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Team SHATTER Security Advisory
Oracle Database Buffer Overflow in SYS.KUPF$FILE_INT.GET_FULL_FILENAME
April 28, 2008
Oracle Database Server versions 9iR2, 10gR1, 10gR2 and 11gR1
Yes (Authentication to Database Server is needed)
This vulnerability was discovered and researched by Esteban Martínez
Fayó of Application Security Inc.
Oracle Database Server provides the SYS.KUPF$FILE_INT package. This
package contains the procedure GET_FULL_FILENAME which is vulnerable to
buffer overflow attacks.
Any Oracle database user with EXECUTE privilege on the package
SYS.KUPF$FILE_INT can exploit this vulnerability. By default, users
granted EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE have the required privilege. Exploitation
of this vulnerability allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code. It
can also be exploited to cause DoS (Denial of service) killing the
Oracle server process.
Vendor was contacted and a patch was released.
Restrict access to the SYS.KUPF$FILE_INT package.
Apply Oracle Critical Patch Update April 2008 available at Oracle Metalink.
Vendor Notification - 8/24/2007
Vendor Response - 8/29/2007
Fix - 4/15/2008
Public Disclosure - 4/28/2008
Application Security, Inc's database security solutions have helped over
1000 organizations secure their databases from all internal and external
threats while also ensuring that those organizations meet or exceed
regulatory compliance and audit requirements.
Disclaimer: The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate
at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use
of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition.
There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the
author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect,
or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on,
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- Prev by Date: Team SHATTER Security Advisory: Oracle Database SQL Injection in SYS.DBMS_CDC_UTILITY.LOCK_CHANGE_SET (DB02)
- Next by Date: [SECURITY] [DSA 1565-1] New Linux 2.6.18 packages fix several vulnerabilities
- Previous by thread: Team SHATTER Security Advisory: Oracle Database SQL Injection in SYS.DBMS_CDC_UTILITY.LOCK_CHANGE_SET (DB02)
- Next by thread: [SECURITY] [DSA 1565-1] New Linux 2.6.18 packages fix several vulnerabilities