RE: Standing Up Against German Laws - Project HayNeedle

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian Echtler [mailto:echtler@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 November 2007 20:00

If I read the law correctly, it requires retention of "what IP
connected to another IP" and "which phone number called where." It
doesn't bother retaining the URL called (my German is rusty, so I
may
be a little off in my interpretation). Connecting to a random IP on
random open port (80 and 443, for example) would be a good start to
accomplish the goal creating chatter. The issue is that the search
terms to find those ports could lead to connecting to a site that
increases your profile against general background chatter, even as
it
is raised with random connection traffic.
As a native German speaker, allow me to clarify: with respect to IP
communication, the law mandates saving the following information for 6
months:

- which customer was assigned which IP for what timespan
- sender mail address, receiver mail address and sender IP for each
mail
- in case of VOIP: caller and callee phone number and IP address

So it wouldn't make much sense to create connection noise on a TCP or
HTTP basis, as this stuff isn't logged. I think one should rather
concentrate on generating email noise in this regard.

Yours, Florian

Hi Florian,

The issue with sending email noise is that there is already too much of
it already and it is already classified under the banner "spam". I can
almost guarantee that were you to start sending random email to many
servers, most of their owners would block your IP immediately, or at
least look at ways of adding you to RBLs and reporting you to whichever
authorities are responsible for enforcing anti-spam and anti-DOS laws.

--

"I'd rather be DOSed than VISTAd" - Hilton Travis, 2007

Regards,

Hilton Travis Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia) Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT www.quarkit.com.au
Director, Quark Group www.quarkgroup.com.au

only. It may contain confidential, privileged or copyright

Quark Group Pty. Ltd.
T/A Quark Automation, Quark AudioVisual, Quark IT

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: WFBJR dies at 82
    ... book, and once again connected the war in Iraq to the War on Terror®, ... and thereby connecting Iraq to the 9/11 attacks, ...
    (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
  • Re: OT: WFBJR dies at 82
    ... book, and once again connected the war in Iraq to the War on Terror®, ... and thereby connecting Iraq to the 9/11 attacks, ...
    (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
  • Re: Ping WCZ
    ... Thursday PMG on Gears of War 3? ... I suspect I'll be on the phone later in the week to discover that instead of connecting the cables in the exchange someone has disconnected them. ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)