Re: Standing Up Against German Laws - Project HayNeedle

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Florian Echtler wrote:

As a native German speaker, allow me to clarify: with respect to IP
communication, the law mandates saving the following information for 6
months:

- which customer was assigned which IP for what timespan
- sender mail address, receiver mail address and sender IP for each mail
- in case of VOIP: caller and callee phone number and IP address

It's all in the ETSI version of the Transport of Intercepted IP Traffic
(http://www.opentap.org/documents/TIIT-v1.0.0.pdf) and the "FuncSpec"
document (http://www.opentap.org/documents/101WAI-GT-FuncspecV1.0.1.doc)

They might have updated it by now. It used to treat email different
from other traffic, but with IM now, I am sure that has changed.

See http://www.opentap.org/documents/ for other documents

So it wouldn't make much sense to create connection noise on a TCP or
HTTP basis, as this stuff isn't logged. I think one should rather
concentrate on generating email noise in this regard.

Instead of creating noise, one should fix the problem of sending out
plaintext email, and encourage people to use email encryption such as
Enigma for Thunderbird. Encrypt IM conversations with OTR, and via
other ways pro-actively protect ones own privacy. That is a real
structural solution. Don't blame others for not using an envelope around
your own communication.

For pointers on how to obtain more privacy via userfriendly software,
see: http://chameleon.spaink.net/PTT.pdf

Paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted
    ... >>about your personal privacy, don't bother responding to this thread. ... > where I did read that he stated he didn't care or that he was calling ... easier to just monitor the communication. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?
    ... Donnie wrote: ... That's true but as EFF said, if they were really concerned about privacy, they wouldn't have logged so much for so long. ... Users may try for anonymity, and can succeed for the most part, but if the government has enough interest to intercept and record you should always assume the communication may be revealed. ... Just as I would never kill someone in a public place in front of witnesses, I would avoid breaking laws on the Internet which should also be considered a public place. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mode S transponder display to ATC?
    ... communication not intended by the sender to be heard/read/whatever by ... listen to any ATC transmission that isn't specifically addressed to them. ... everything with protecting the privacy of ATC and pilots. ... I'm certain that it has nothing to do with protecting privacy, ...
    (rec.aviation.ifr)
  • Re: I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?
    ... > Donnie wrote: ... > No they are not concerned about the privacy of your searches, ... The Internet is public or private depending on what YOU as a user ... > you should always assume the communication may be revealed. ...
    (alt.computer.security)