Re: Re: Comments re ISC's announcement on bind9 security

Given the extremely small amount of space for randomization (16-bit query ID's) does a cryptographically strong PRNG really make difference? Aside from stopping an easy prediction, doesn't it just generate a little extra work for a determined malicious individual?

Seems to be a moot point to me---whether the PRNG is cryptographically weak or not because of the small sequence number space.

-ntn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with Random function
    ... Resetting the random number generator is something you ... A PRNG generates a sequence of numbers which appear random. ... periodicity is how long that sequence is before it repeats. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: KISS4691, a potentially top-ranked RNG.
    ... I think in the parallel case, one would want to be able to generate a seed to produce values that are guaranteed not to overlap with any other node. ... new_seedwould depend on my_node in such a way that the generated sequence would not overlap with that produced by any other possible value of my_node. ... what if we wanted several independent streams of random numbers? ... if the designer of the PRNG was careful or just lucky. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Nasty code...but please critique it anyway :-)
    ... > outputting to stream would offer more flexibility. ... > that includes all the functionality of a PRNG, ... That would sort of apply in the case of a dictionary attack, ... way of creating a large, but still finite, sequence of numbers. ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Nasty code...but please critique it anyway :-)
    ... > outputting to stream would offer more flexibility. ... > that includes all the functionality of a PRNG, ... That would sort of apply in the case of a dictionary attack, ... way of creating a large, but still finite, sequence of numbers. ...
    (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
  • Re: the "hat" container class [C++]
    ... > So, barring knowledge of the random generator, and having ... > sensitivity to the initial one or two values of the sequence, ... I think understanding how one's PRNG works, ...
    (comp.programming)